Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Couch to Running with An Olympian, Day 1? ;)

Sunday
Commitment day?  I could not run today; my knee was worse after the run and walking around than it was during.  But never the less, things need to head in the right direction .. NOW.  So today I focus on what I can control.  If its not running, its nutrition.  I dusted off the MFP app, and started tracking.  My family wanted to celebrate my belated birthday dinner.  We went to Red Lobster so that there would be enough healthy options.  And my gift to myself was not a pig out session.  It was an on-track day! *^_^*  I also could work on getting more rest; I needed a big ole catch up day after numerous 6 - 6.5 hour nights in a row this past week.  Last, I made sure I hit my 10,000 step count by taking a quick walk after dinner.  It may not be marathon training, but its determined effort.  A+, me.

Monday
Distance - 3.1
Time - 29:28

Its obvious that I need to get healthy before I think about ramping up for anything in particular. So this week, I am eschewing the 1/2 marathon training schedule I thought I'd pop back on for November until Thanksgiving.  Perhaps November will bring sufficient recovery, and with the marathon base, I can "come back" by Thanksgiving or Jeff Galloway.  But throwing a very possible "and perhaps not." into the mix.  This week, forget it all and just keep swimming part 2.  Sticking to what I naturally love the most .. speedy treadmill 5Ks.

I didn't hurt to begin with.  In fact, with music, I felt really fresh.  The muscles feel like running, even though things hurt .. I can tell that.  I found a 10 pace easy enough, and quickly notched up from there.  There were moments of boredom, and "I want to walk"s, but I was able to kick them out of the brain a little more quickly today than all last week.  By .6 to go, I was sub-8s, and finished the thing off at a 400 meter at 7:30 (long-term 5K race pace goal).  Not bad for first run of the week!

I tried keeping my Garmin on for this, but now I remember why I don't.  Its nice to have the mileage show on the App's calendar, but the Garmin is SO out of sync with the treadmill in terms of distance and pace.  And I *know* the treadmill is more accurate.  (I can't tell the difference between 9:20 and 9:40, but you bet yer arse I can tell the difference between 9:30 and 11:30, lol).  It also doesn't help that I remember to turn the treadmill off (priority) but forget to do the Garmin until I'm in the shower. So yea, I'll either have to practice, or just keeping taking pics of my displays for accountability.

Tuesday
Distance - 5K
Time - 29:00

More of the same.  Do it again, but um, better.  5K in on the LA F. treadmill before work.  Oh and *shock* email says I am registered for a race on Thursday.  Whhhhaaaattt??? Who let me sign up for races before the one month post-marathon mark?  Ah well, tempo run.

Wednesday
Rest

Might as well not start strength training the day before a race, tempo or not.

Thursday
Race - evening 5K Espirit De She
Time - Under 28

I was *so* not feeling this one.  Evening, coming off everything that could possibly have gone wonky the last few weeks, and family members germ-ing it up left, right and center.  But .. oh yea .. I *LOVE* this race. *^_^*  All women, fast (not flat, just fast) course, night time party, wine.  TOO much fun.



The intention was to just find the pace that felt right.  I suspected I could hit under 30 still, if I focused.  And I crushed that goal.  I *think* there was a gear I didn't tap, too.  Hard to say.  But just like with the 10 miler and Brandi, the opportunity to run with someone I'd been wanting to race hard with came .. and went.   I wasn't sore at any point after though, so I am going to say good chance that their could have been another gear if I wanted anything other than under 30.  Major fun, major confidence boost in the right direction.

Friday - Saturday



Total - 9.3 :/

No comments:

Post a Comment