Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Taperville is Disney Land!

With everything that's gone on in the past week, I am eschewing the standard format and just catching everyone up on the meat and potatoes.

I left off on Friday, 9/16, which started off with an awesome run and awesome news about my new start corral, and ended up with a top notch showing on the 2nd interview front!  I had postponed the job search, but there were things in-progress that I couldn't just 'turn off.'

I saw the sign.

23 miles on Saturday actually served as a nice distraction.  (yea, I said that).  Focus the anxiety on the marathon, and I didn't need to stress just how much I wanted to land this job.  Well, never fear: 23 was logged solidly, and things on the job front didn't have me waiting long.  By Monday, they were requesting references, and on Tuesday I had accepted an offer, and put in notice!!!  My first day on the job will be ... the Tuesday post-marathon. hahahahahaha!

"What's wrong with the new girl?"
This is not the exact staircase in the lobby of the Atlanta Community Food Bank, but very close! Aye, aye, aye!  

Between taper and the euphoria of all of the career-front excitement, I was on cloud 9.  I gave myself TWO unplanned days off the 19th and 20th .. oops, I did miss a Monday .. and didn't run until Thursday.  I only had time for half a speed work out, and then Saturday, I only ran 4 miles, 3.1 at ~ 5K 95% of race pace .. 27:06 cross country race finish time. So yea, I am for sure the princess of this taper stuff!  But honestly, I felt like this was just right. And thus far, training by feel has been my best friend.

Sunday I was rewarded with something approaching the real schedule.  This was by far one of my FAVORITE runs of the entire training session.  I was back on Riverside, which I love.  The weather was a smidge cooler, the route familiar and flat. Best of all, even though the work out was still rather long for taper, I was not as solo as I imagined I'd be.  Kathleen signed on to run a first 5 miles with me, TJ the next 5, and then from there, I had cameos from Harley, Katie, and a few others here and there.  I felt so loved. <3 <3 <3  I decided that 16.5 was plenty; lets not forget that I covered 4 miles, 5k at 8:30ish pace yesterday.  So I did the last 10K loop, and celebrated a job well done!  What a difference from my first 16 miler, when I *literally* thought I would die.

(for other than like actual dying reasons as per below ;) )

Kathleen and I had quite an eventful 1st 5 miles in the dark.  She's an awesome run partner.  I will have to make note of how fun it is to run with her.  She can handle her pace so well that she enjoys a little chatter, and that keeps me going, even if I can't always reciprocate. (Sunday I could, but not always).  Plus she's fast, so she pushed me a smidge, which takes care of some of the tempo I was supposed to get in.  (I think my pace with her was 9:44 average).  That was probably partly because of the near death experience!  We're running along maybe mile 3ish, when I hear what sounds to me like a helicopter landing in the trees.  Leaves and twigs start to rain around us, and I am seriously wondering if we're going to be abducted by aliens.  We see the massive trunk limb above us, and had exactly two seconds to decide: stop or run faster.  We ran like wild women, and then turned around to see a THICK branch that took up the ENTIRE two lane road.  Friends behind us told us that they thought it was gun shot, and a car had almost gone into a ditch because of it.  Woah.

TJ had an eventful moment, too.  We didn't get to run too much together.  He'd done more than me the morning before, and nursed a more easy pace.  But having him out there meant everything!  Like literally. Whether someone is behind me, or ahead of me, they keep me there, working.  Tethered to a firm "no, I'm not getting in the car and driving away.  I am going to keep going."  It was so nice that they all came. <3  Well, we finished, and a biker ran up to us, to say that he had a family emergency, and could he put is bike in TJs truck for a quick ride to his parent's, who's mom was having some kind of medical emergency!!  I am told they got to the house right at the same moment the paramedics did.  Woah.  TJ is my hero!


When your "solo" run looks like this, you know you're blessed! <3 #tribe

I ran 5 miles this past Monday.  9:50 average pace; I could tell my legs were beat.  That, and lo and behold, who was pushing the pace but my bud Michele!  Go, M, go!  For as hard a training session as she's had, I'm impressed to see she hasn't lost much on the middle distance pace front.  Yey!! 

Tuesday, I only had 4 miles.  That was soooo easy to get in that I put it off a little too long. By 8pm, I was knocked out, and I slept ELEVEN HOURS!  Today (Wednesday), I was itching to get it done, so I got to LA F before work, and ran it easy.  4 miles right at 10 min avg pace over all.  Done! 

Now as the miles truly get shorter, and the day count gets even lower, my brain begins to race.  Goals and thoughts of what my finish time will be run around in my brain all day.  To combat, I make lists and start thinking about packing, and planning the weekend, etc.

Randomly, this week I am also thinking of how wild and blessed my 30s have been.  As I approach my 38th birthday, I think of where I was when I started .. In 2009 at 30, I was shaken to the core with a thyroid cancer diagnosis.  I don't care what any one says, there is no "good cancer." And 90% survival is still a percent on your head at just 30 years old of NOT surviving to see both children grow into adulthood, to know and experience grandchildren, etc.  Surgeries, special diets and radiation sucked.  But it taught me that I was stronger than I thought I was.  It also showed me what I could expect from other people.  It showed me how much certain people cared and loved me.  The years after that were tough, though.  I didn't immediately "grab life" and live it to the fullest.  In fact, I struggled more.  I joked that such is karma, I would be the unfortunate person ends up with the one cancer that makes me fat instead of skinny.  So sad that I kinda actually felt this way, after the shock of not dying was replaced with the depressing reality of managing medication, and gaining weight.  I also assume there was a lot of un-processed post-trauma depression rolled in there. 2014 was finally the rebirth.  With medication in check, and the Atlanta Track Club in my life, I transformed.  My life in Atlanta had to that point been a little lonely.  Now I am showered with friendship, and on a path with like-minded people.  I experience frustration, and get stressed and depressed, just like everyone else.  But to celebrate a birthday, or a new year's, and not have to make the SAME silly resolution or birthday challenge (by my next birthday, I will be ...).  To tackle new and more awesome things, because I am moving forward.  Wow, what a rush.  I can't wait to be able to say that in 2014 I was morbidly obese, and in 2016, I was a marathoner! 

      
Sept 2016 / January 2014




No comments:

Post a Comment