Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Big Peach Sizzler Race Report & Weekend Ramblings

Saturday
Distance - 15
Pace - 10:12

After a choppy, depressing end to last week, the long weekend really helped get me back on track.

My husband ... whom I hardly mention because, well, he hardly ever blips on the run-front  ... actually helped me a good bit on the "crisis mode" moment where I pretty much became assured that I would "fun run" the rest of training because its all I have time for.  About this "OTHER THING (OT)" that is taking up ALL. THE. TIME., he reminded me that: 1. I am the ONLY ONE that thinks this is a priority.  Many in my shoes are forced to work on something like this under much more urgent scenarios.  2.  Its not a race. (the thing, not my marathon.  That is a race. LOL).  The idea that from the time that I declare that I "want this" to the time that I have it "should be" 2-3 months is ONLY in my head.  I started "OT" in earnest in early August.  The ONLY person that cares that it be done by my 10/26 birthday is me, as he reminds me.  Yes, there's a lot of "energy" right now.  But seriously, its 3 weeks.  After 5 years of not even considering something like this, 3 weeks.  What could I possibly lose in that time.  *deep breath* thanks, Hubster.  Very true.

If this were a book, or a guide for new runners, I'd have to mention all this other-than stuff, because its a really important run highlight in disguise.  Most of us are not professional athletes ... or elites with sponsored contracts and endless training time.  We're the ages we are, and the weights we are.  We're weekend warriors.  And 20+ weeks is a long time.  Little Things and Big Things are going to happen.  A friend of my has been sick non-stop for weeks on end during this cycle. (Little Thing)  Another friend of mine lost her husband unexpectedly while training.  (Big Thing).  If I look around me, I see that things are hectic, yes, but in many ways, I've been really fortunate with the time I've been given, and have used relatively wisely.  Like with pregnancy, I think that if you wait for the *perfect time* to run a marathon, and look for the perfect training session to support that run, you are either never going to run a marathon, or you are going to end up very disappointed thinking about what could have been if you'd just had a more perfect life.  Runners are not excluded from "stuff."  We have imperfect marriages, children bouncing off walls, financial issues, work woes, losses, and wins all jumbled in.  Not only do we struggle with physical demands of training, but also with weather, jam crammed schedules, whether its too dark / unsafe that day, and a million other things beyond our control.  Making running a part of your chaotic life despite all of its challenges is what makes it hard, but also what makes it the source of pride and accomplishment that you feel bolstered by, and better for.

So .. back to running then, and back burner "OT" until after Chicago.  That's a weight off!  And it showed in my Saturday running .. Wooo!!!  I hadn't "hit" a run like this since Monday.

Of course, I honestly did not think this was going to feel like a "short" run to start.  "Only" and "Just" don't belong in sentences with fifteen.  Going in, I knew I was going to "sandbag" this one pace-wise.  I just didn't realize that .. whaaat .. 10:12 can be the pace for fifteen sandbagged!  Woop!!

I was conversational throughout, took very few looks at my watch, and even was rather casual about whether or not it got paused if I hit a street light, or stopped to refill hydration.  There's a smidge of a loss here: 15 PRO should be effort pace.  Which I'd started to think of as 10:08 or faster for anything above 10 without crazy elevation.  But .. faster than desired marathon pace, on a day where all you care about is time on feet, and with a race on your mind for Monday .. yea, this goes in WINNING column. :)

Sunday

Unexpected swim day with bro and fam at Lake Altuna.  Fun!  Unfortunately, boat life and run life do and don't mix well.  Do: lengthy swim to "other shore" made me feel strong, and gave me some XT for the day.  Fun and relaxation was a lot of what the doctor ordered, too.  I can't remember a day that was *this* chill in a LONG time.  Don't:  well, lets take a peak at pre-race fueling:

Lime-a-rita count: 2, Mike's Hard: 1. Jagger shots: 3.  Bed time: 12 am.

Rut-roh!
....

Monday
Distance - 6.22
Pace: 8:44 (BOOM)
PR: 54:18 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh em gee.  This was friggin fun!  Unfortunately, the terms of engagement were .. as mentioned above ..  um .. weak!!  I was saying to Kyle, as we car pooled in, that I was seriously not up for anything more than possibly a one second PR and that only just because this course is essentially "not Peachtree."

The first "sign from above" that this might be a "really happy day" despite the "circumstances" came in the form of my race bib.  Number 2??!!  Really???  Wow.  Elite status.  (Like an elite with last name: Acosta, but whatever.  Must race if your bib is #2.  End of discussion).

I made some good calls in terms of corral placement.  Of all the folks I "kinda sorta" wanted to run with, just repeating Peachtree and kicking it up with twin Klenke was the right bet.  I also called it well as far as temperature and hydration.  The rain earlier in the weekend cooled things down such that a quick grab and go at hydration table once or twice was zippier than carrying a belt or hand held.  Despite everything, never felt dehydrated.  (This does not change the fact that I did NOT call it well as far as lime-a-ritas.  More on that at mile 4!)

Going at this speed for this long was exhilarating.  I'm surprised, though, that nothing ever takes the: 'Lets just stop now' out of my head.  Even after running 20, running at race pace, no matter the shorter distance, always feels like:  I probably won't finish.  That said, this stayed right in "Wonder Woman" (WW) zone.  Mainly because of the fast course and temperature.  If I had run with someone faster, I think there was still a "this sucks" gear that I could have found in the middle of the race.

I didn't have a firm goal past PR.  Flat 9 average pace sounded good if I really wanted something to struggle for.  Maybe a little positive, and check out how long I can keep an 8 in the average pace?  Well, 8:45 came seriously natural for start of the course.  I was running right behind Kyle, and for me, if I could bring up the rear and always be able to count on catching up, I so would never take lead runner status ever again. :)  I knew we'd push each other if we were together together, so I remember having the thought: don't go get him until after mile 3.  That worked perfect this time.  (other times, not so much; just depends on the day).  Keeping him in sight kept me moving, and I found some other gals running real steady closer to me to anchor with. Man, can I say its so nice to really belong with the people around me up here in the upper pods.  More and more often, I have the benefit of running with and around folks who aren't sprinting, then walking, or changing their pace to race passers-by all willy-nilly.  Very comforting. I couldn't rely on that type of consistency in the packs around me (or from me either) until this year.  Yey, intermediate!

At mile 3, I didn't feel particularly compelled to go off and race Kyle, either.  "Maybe next mile" was probably on the brain. But the pace came naturally, and the woman with the yellow Big Peach singlet that I was running right behind caught him, so I was kinda there before I knew it .. or wanted it.  But I realized that forcing the pace slower than I was naturally wanting to go just to NOT catch Kyle would be kinda dumb. LOL.  Mainly this also happened because of the downhills .. my favorites.  #zoomzoom.  Well, from there, it became the Kyle and Judy show.  It was actually really nice to pod run with him.  Lots of people cheered on the "America" theme we had going.  :)


Unfortunately it also became the Lime-a-Rita redux show.  DON'T DRINK and PR-attempt people, just don't.  EVER.  My stomach was revolting, and the only thing I could do was to stop

.. or run faster. ;)

So back to Kyle, and deal with the poor life choices later!

I know Kyle has a competitive run personality. Me too.  When it comes right down to it, we all probably have that piece to us if we're doing this.  I hate it 99% of the time.  Love it at times like this. :)

But bottom line, the guy is faster than me for real short sprints.  If the goal is to beat him, never leave it to the final stretch. Learned that already! :D  But at mile 4-5, feeling as pushed as I felt, I didn't really care yet.  If he got me to mile 5 by sharing my space, and then I watched him 'peel out,' that was going to do me just fine right then.  At 5, though, the course just lent itself so well to pushing and putting it all out there that that's what came naturally.  By now, I knew I had a PR.  I didn't know what under 9 average pace would result in time-wise, but at mile 5, making sure that stayed in the bag too was my new fish to fry.  There was no telling where the race between Kyle and I would end, but I was feeling very strong.  So I pushed.  At one point, I got trapped between two slower lady runners, and thought he'd make his move then.  But the downhill felt amazing, and all it took was a side step to far left, a hop back over, and now I lead the way again for home again.

To sheer JOY, I found that I had so much more to give, even now, and I *knew* to start giving it before the finish line jumped into view (cuz Emory track King Kyle, remember .. lol).  He was behind now, but lucky for me, a person "told me" just how close / far back he was, by yelling "go Captain America." bwhahaha. That reality check that he was gone, but not far gone, gave me license to get my kicking started.  In fact, there was so much left for playing with speed at this late stage .. how friggin fun.  Under 9 was in the bag, so I'm happy I found non-watch motivation, both with the Kyle thing, and even more, because the course was so FAST.  Even the straight away was down hill.  Make way for MANIAC Kick Judy and her shave of 1.5 minute PR, and ~4 minutes from course PR last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The final officials were 54:18 and 54:21.  WOAH!

To tell you that I couldn't have done another mile would be a lie.  That means I didn't do it "Brad / Jerry style."  But oh man, does a gal need a fun race like this, too!  Sizzler is for sure going to be an annual thing!

At the after party .. Party Dance Loon Judy.

30 minutes later .. Sleepy Judy looking up at clouds from shuttle bus and thinking "oh man, its the 'slow down' moment" where life just hovers around you being all perfect and sh1t.  (If this were a movie, it comes right before you die, at peace with everything you've overcome and accomplished). Hint: #thehangoveriscoming

Hours 4 out of 5 later Judy ..



*^_^*





No comments:

Post a Comment